The state of Nebraska permits each county to have a lodging tax of 5%. Of that 5%, the state will keep 1% and will return the remaining 4% back to the county to promote tourism within the county. In 2014 the Hayes County Commissioners implemented this Lodging Tax. The Hayes County Commissioners appointed five people to an “Advisory Committee” to promote, encourage, and attract visitors to come to Hayes County. Of these five members of the Advisory Committee at least one member and not more than two members shall be in the hotel industry.
Currently the Hayes County Visitors Committee meets once every quarter to discuss ideas and projects to improve the community and promote tourism in Hayes County. Below are some ideas that have recently come up in discussion:
- Organizing free movie nights for the community to attend.
- Holding community dances once a month.
- Placing signs along Interstate 70 and Interstate 80 to promote Hayes County.
- Advertising future “Junk-In-The-Trunk” events.
- Organizing “Farm Experience Days,” where people can meet up with local farmers/ranchers to experience different aspects of rural life, from wheat and corn harvest to working cattle and anything in between.
Vickie Gohl, Chairperson
Nick Cox, Member
Rita Erickson, Member
Debra Lawson, Member
Kimberle Primavera, Member